Our CSA at a Glance
- Two Share Periods:
- Summer Period (12 weeks): June 16, 2021 to September 1, 2021.
- Fall Period (8 weeks): September 8, 2021 to October 27, 2021.
- PLUS our annual Bulk Winter Veggie Stock-Up Sale on November 17, 2021!
- Two Share Options – Small or Large Shares
- All Certified Organic Produce from three central Vermont farms. Occasionally we will bring in organic produce from other Vermont farmers to provide a more diversified share or if we experience crop failures of some veggies.
- Weekly Flower Bouquet add-on from Mountain Flower Farm for the Summer Period.
- Pick-Up Wednesdays at Kingsbury Farm, Warren, VT 12 noon to 6:30pm
- Summer Share: June 16 to September 1 (12 weeks)
- Our farmers start growing seedlings in their greenhouses in February to assure ample shares by the middle of June when the CSA begins. In all of our past years, the first share of the season has always included tomatoes and salad greens as well as other typical spring produce such as baby carrots, beets, spinach, scallions and head lettuce. Within a week or two of the first share we are getting a greater variety of vegetables including cucumbers, radishes, salad turnips, napa cabbage, broccoli rabe and herbs. By the end of July the farms are exploding with variety and we get new potatoes, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, carrots and perhaps our first ears of corn. Toward the end of the summer CSA melons make their debut along with peppers, onions, eggplant and field-grown tomatoes.
- Fall Share: September 8 to October 27 (8 weeks)
- Many of our members say that the beginning of the Fall share provides the best of the summer along with the best of the Fall. Typically we are still getting corn, field-grown tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and perhaps melons over the first couple weeks of September. By the time there is a nip of fall in the air, our shares start getting much heavier with winter squashes and root vegetables. We provide members choice when it comes to this storage produce. Instead of specific root veggies being included each week, members will be able to mix and match from a variety of root vegetables. We are able to do this because winter vegetables store so well and often actually gets better by “curing” a few weeks before eating. Highlight veggies in the fall include potatoes (we offer several varieties such as russet, white, red and golden), sweet potatoes and a wide range of winter squash. We usually have salad greens or head lettuce up until our final share of the season along with cabbage, carrots, parsnips, napa cabbage, turnips and beets.
- Full Season: June 16 to October 27 (20 weeks)
- Members who are with us for the full season enjoy a full range of vegetables that are typical of what is grown in Vermont throughout the season.
- Full Season Discount! Get a FREE week when you sign-up for the full season.
Changes for 2021
- This year our summer CSA will be 12 weeks and our Fall CSA will be 8 weeks. This is what we did last year and it worked out really well!
- No worries winter veggie lovers! We will have our annual bulk winter veggie sale on November 17th!
- Mountain Flower Farm Weekly Bouquet Add-On will be offered for the summer CSA only.
- Our Covid Pick-Up process worked so well last year that we will keep it in place for this coming year. We will be offering the option to have your share pre-packed so you can have contactless pick-up if you choose.
- With the weather conditions last fall, we are anticipating very limited strawberries this season. We hate to tell you this, but it only seems fair to let you know in advance. We cannot promise strawberries in the shares this year.
Quality and Variety
Our farmers are growing for this CSA; they have developed a thoughtful planting and harvest plan with the shareholders in mind. You are not getting stuck with what isn’t selling elsewhere. Each year we tweak our growing plans based on feedback from our members in the past season. What we have learned is that people want a variety of staple vegetables with occasional surprises. One thing all members agree on is that our produce is beautiful.
- Greens and herbs are washed and ready to use.
- Other vegetables are cleaned if it doesn’t bruise them or affect their shelf-life.
- Tomatoes are never refrigerated.
- Most crops are harvested early in the day to keep them fresh.
- Most veggies will last much longer than you are used to with supermarket produce.
Here is a list of the veggies and fruit members received in their shares in past years – over 60 different types!
Two Share Size Options
- Small Share – Typically includes a half pound of salad greens/spinach plus the featured vegetables of the week.
- Who Should Get This Share: Great for small families or folks who have a home garden and/or also like to go to the farmers’ market on the weekend.
- Large Share – Typically includes a pound of salad greens/spinach plus the featured vegetables of the week. Sometimes vegetables are included in the large shares that are not in the small shares. We do this to provide more variety and because of the pricing of the large share we can include items that have a higher value.
- Who Should Get This Share: Great for vegetarian/vegan couples or families.
Important Consideration When Choosing Share Option
Sometimes the Large shares get more of certain items and sometimes the Large shares get items that the Small shares do not get. There are a couple of reasons for this:
- Sometimes the farmers only have enough of the item to provide them to the Large shares.
- In other cases, the item may be valued at a price higher than the allowance for the Small share. For example, during one week last year, the Large shares all received a watermelon. Because of it’s relatively high value, it wasn’t practical to give the Small shares a watermelon or the rest of the share would have seemed skimpy.
Examples of Shares
Here are examples of shares from past seasons.
Why Muddy Boots Members Come Back Year After Year
- Certified organic, beautiful produce grown by some of the best farmers in Vermont.
- Quick, easy and convenient pick-up at Kingsbury Market Garden.
- Excellent customer service signing-up and on pick-up days including.
- Our weekly newsletter with info on the share, an update from one of our farmers and recipes.
- Credit cards now accepted.
- Our awesome pick-up day coordinators, from Burnt Rock Farm who make sure you have a great pick-up day experience.
- Mix and match options each week so, for example, if you don’t like onions, there will be other options for you.
- Extra shares are packed up at the end of the day in case you forget to pick-up your share.
- Our share hold service which is the best way to make sure your share is available if you can’t pick it up on Wednesday.
- Optional pick-up day email and text reminders.
- A Trade Box where members can trade with other members items they don’t want for items they do want.
- Weekly Flower Bouquet Add-On for the Summer from Mountain Flower Farm.
- End of season, winter produce stock-up sale.